Happy First Fruit Friday! I am laughing at the two things God dropped on my heart to share today: a Healthy Cookie dough bites recipe and a devotional and video on self-control. Don’t you just love God’s sense of humor?!
I am not a food blogger and my pictures are not the best but I do love to experiment with not so healthy recipes and see if I can “healthify” them(yes I am aware that is not a word). I love all things peanut butter and cookie dough so I set out to make some protein balls that combined the two without compromising the ingredients. My kids and I loved them so I hope you do too!
- 2/3 cup almond flour (I get mine from nuts.com so I can not vouch for how these will turn out with a different brand since all almond flours are not created equal)
- 3/4 cup organic peanut butter (I am aware that peanut butter is the least healthiest of the nut butters so feel free to try almond or cashew for an even healthier treat)
- 2.5 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 T ground flax seed (I added this for extra fiber and omegas for my kids)
- 6 T Enjoy Life chocolate chips (you could leave these out for even less sugar but I think there are only a few in each bite)
- Mix all ingredients together and form into 1.5″ balls. If the dough is crumbly you can refrigerate it for a bit before rolling them into balls.
- Enjoy! I store my extras in the refrigerator.
Now on to that devotional on self-control. I posted a live video on the First Fruit Fitness Facebook page that will help explain this a little more. You can check out the video here:
Here is also a short devotional to get us thinking more on this topic and what God’s word has to say about self-control:
“FOR GOD HAS NOT GIVEN YOU A SPIRIT OF FEAR OR TIMIDITY, BUT OF POWER, LOVE AND A SOUND MIND(OR SELF DISCIPLINE). 2 TIMOTHY 1:7
POWER THOUGHT: WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO REJECT FEAR & TIMIDITY AND RECEIVE UNLIMITED ACCESS TO GOD’S POWER, LOVE AND SOUND THINKING/SELF-DISCIPLINE.
Have you ever experienced thoughts of fear in regards to your body or health? How about timidity or disbelief in your ability to do something? It’s completely normal to have those thoughts enter our brain but it’s important we take them captive immediately and speak God’s truth over them. The Bible says God does not give us fear or timidity but instead He gives power, love and a sound mind/self-discipline. Let’s take some time to discuss what those 3 things mean and how we can apply them practically.
Take a few minutes to be alone with the Lord and answer these questions. Write them down if you have the time.
- What is power? Give an example of God demonstrating His power through you.
- What is love? Do you notice a difference in your thinking when you freely receive God’s love on a daily basis?
- What is a sound mind and/or self-discipline? How do you keep your mind sound or practice self-discipline?
PRAY: Father God, I receive your power and love today. Thank you that you have given me everything I need to practice self-discipline in my life. I repent for not always coming to you first with my struggles. Thank you for loving me right where I am at and loving me too much to not let me stay here. In Jesus name, amen.