I was mindlessly scrolling through Instagram last week when God stuck his finger in a tender place of my heart. It was not comfortable.
Normally, my relationship with God is one of him building me up and encouraging me to keep going. However, this conversation was painful because he was highlighting an area of my life that I didn’t want to discuss with him….jealousy.
I don’t know a person who has never dealt with jealousy. In fact, most of us think it’s cute to say “Oh my goodness I am so jealous of your shoes (fill in the blank)…where did you get them?”.
However, God showed me 3 problems with jealousy that when left unresolved will wreak havoc in our life:
- Jealousy is “me” minder rather than “kingdom” minded.
- Jealousy robs us of our joy and blessings.
- Jealousy keeps us from entering into intimate relationships with those with whom we are jealous.
As God shed a light on this area of sin in my life I immediately turned to his word for help in overcoming jealousy. There were a lot of scriptures on jealousy but I am listing 10 of the ones that really spoke to me here.
- Then I observed all the work and ambition motivated by envy. What a waste! Smoke. And spitting into the wind. (Ecclesiastes 4:4)
- Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the best you can with your own life. (Galatians 6:4-5)
- Surely resentment destroys the fool, and jealousy kills the simple. (Job 5:2)
- A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones. (Proverbs 14:30)
- Anger is cruel, and wrath is like a flood, but jealousy is even more dangerous. (Proverbs 27:4)
- Then at last the jealousy between Israel and Judah will end. They will not be rivals anymore. (Isaiah 11:13)
- It’s true that some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives. (Philippians 1:15)
- But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your heart, don’t cover up the truth with boasting and lying. For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind. (James 3:14-16)
- But when some of the Jews saw the crowds, they were jealous; so they slandered Paul and argued against whatever he said. (Acts 13:45)
- You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world? (1 Corinthians 3:3)
If you would like to listen to the video about I shared on Facebook about this topic you can do that here.
This conversation got started over on my Instagram stories and you can listen to it hear then click the “Real Talk” highlight.
How do you deal with jealousy when it comes your way?
I was grieved when I realized I am jealous of at least one thing in most of the people who I am surrounded with in my life. But there is a difference in conviction and condemnation. Conviction brings change while condemnation is a prison. Jesus came to set us free from that prison. Confess your sins and move on with God’s help.
In this with you,
Rachael, THANK you for this!! These verses so powerfully spoke to me, and I loved your 3 points about jealousy. They’re SO true. I too often deal with jealousy by trying to “win” the competition in some other way (I’m jealous of the house they have, but at least I have a husband who’s around more!). I’m reminded that jealousy STEALS joy and prevents us from practicing gratitude, which oh-so-harmful to us. Thank you for writing this post and encouraging women in this area!!
I LOVE your thoughts about “winning”. I do that too. Thanks for your kind words 🙂