This week on Real Talk with Rachael I’m talking with the host of the Truth for your Twenties podcast, Katie Bulmer. The mission behind everything Katie does is to be who she needed when she was younger. She is an author and keynote speaker to over 50 colleges nationwide, mom of two girls, TikTok creator, and a big fan of guacamole.
Key Points from Our Conversation:
- Katie was a quiet child who never could have imagined God would call her to public speaking. After a meltdown in adulthood, she realized was focusing her reach on the wrong audience and God was calling her to speak to women in sororities – women who were similar to her when she was younger.
- The Biblical story of the woman at the well revealed to Katie that she was filling up her cup with things that were temporary. The revelation that she was looking for another human to heal her broken places was a game-changer for her.
- Katie came to believe that sorority girls can change the world after seeing their influence while working in marketing. She focused on how sororities can use their trendsetting power for good in their communities and the world.
- Katie felt conflicted when asked to speak to women in venues that didn’t allow her to speak about Jesus until her friend Jeff helped her realize that she didn’t have to preach to live out the gospel.
- “I don’t have to quote John 4, I can be John 4.”
- If you’re looking for how to start, look at where God is already working and join in. You don’t need a 5-year plan, you only need to know the next step.
- If you want to find your voice and feel comfortable using it, you need accountability and practice. Social media is a beautiful tool to utilize for practice. Consistency matters.
- Everyone has something to bring to the table. Even if what you offer looks similar to what someone else has to offer, God has gifted you with specific giftings. There’s room for everyone at the table.
- Don’t wait for the perfect time to get started. The only way to get ahead is to get started. It’s okay to be scared, just take one step in front of the other. Your voice is needed.
Let’s Get Real Practical:
When we lean into God’s voice, we find ours. This week ask God to reveal the area in your life that you’re not hearing His voice. Then ask Him which area or group has He called you to serve.
Sign up for JOYmail – my monthly newsletter that’s full of resources that deliver a little joy and practical action steps for life into your inbox.