This week on Real Talk with Rachael I’m talking to author Sarah Bragg about her new book A Mother’s Guide to Raising Herself. Sarah is also the host of the podcast Surviving Sarah. Along with being a master at brewing coffee and a champion of cheering for others, she is also a mother of two girls and a wife to Scott. She and her family reside in Tennessee.
Key Points from Our Conversation:
- There’s a lot of pressure that comes along with believing motherhood is your calling. If it is the greatest thing we can ever do, what about the women who don’t/can’t have children? What happens when your kids grow up? Raising kids is valuable, but it doesn’t have to be a pressure point. It’s a relationship.
- Perfectionism tells us that if we follow the formula and it doesn’t work, it must be us. You have to get to the heart of who you are and what your kids need. Be aware of your tendency for perfectionism and don’t use it as an affirmation of your worth.
- Pay attention to your “should soundtrack.” When you feel like you should do something, let it be an indicator to investigate further. Is that something that’s important or you want to do? Why do you feel pressure to do it?
- Fear isn’t a bad thing, but you can’t let it drive you. Choose curiosity over judgment. Choose to trust in God. Staying focused on your goals will give you perspective.
- The best way to communicate with girls about body image is by modeling healthy behaviors and appreciating your body for what it is.
- Raising girls helped Sarah realize how her self-obsession with looks affected others and gave her perspective on how absurd the goals were that she had set for herself.
- Stop comparing yourself to other women – including your former self. If we can accept where we are, there’s a freedom that follows.
- Showing up is enough.
Let’s Get Real Practical:
This week we’re evaluating our “should soundtrack.” What areas of your life do you feel defeated in? When you look at those areas, are you “shoulding” on yourself? Where did those “shoulds” come from?
Download the 3 Action Steps to Overcome Fear & Pursue your God-Given Dreams FREE training today!