This week on Real Talk with Rachael I’m talking with bestselling author Valorie Burton about her latest book Let Go of the Guilt: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Take Back Your Joy. Founder of the Coaching and Positive Psychology Institute (CaPP), Valorie has served clients in over 40 states and ten countries and written thirteen books on personal development, including Successful Women Think Differently, What’s Really Holding You Back and Successful Women Speak Differently. She is a frequent guest expert for the TODAY Show, CNN, Dr. Oz, Oprah Magazine, NPR, Essence, and many others. She has spoken for hundreds of organizations, including GE, McDonald’s Corporation, Verizon, Coca Cola, and the United States military. Ms. Burton has a master’s degree in applied positive psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, a master’s degree in journalism from Florida A&M University, and a BA from Florida State University.
We’re talking about:
- The difference between an unpleasant experience and a joyful one is often dependant on our intention.
- Women struggle with guilt more than men due to natural empathy and seeking out reasons they don’t measure up.
- We often feel we’ve done something wrong and Satan uses it as a tool to beat us with.
- Guilt can be used as a warning signal to change action.
- The top 3 guilt triggers in women are children, eating, and exercise
- Investigate if you actually did something wrong by asking God if it aligns with his expectations for you.
- Knowing your values and calling out guilt before you make a choice will help you stick to a decision despite outside pressure.
- Expectations are thoughts about what you should be doing and are often vague and predicated by others.
- Bringing awareness of perfectionism can help us better identify when it’s happening and understand ourselves.
- We can help raise our girls differently by being transparent about our failures and shame.
- Happiness is a risk; guilt is safe.
- 3 ways to choose joy – reflect on your blessings, be intentional about connecting with others, and get out and move
Don’t forget to text the phrase “RealTalkGiveaway” to the number 44222 to be entered to win giveaways from show guests and sponsors!