This week on Real Talk with Rachael I’m talking with Jon and Kathryn Gordon about their new book Relationship Grit: A True Story with Lessons to Stay Together, Grow Together, and Thrive Together. Jon Gordon’s best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous Fortune 500 companies, professional and college sports teams, school districts, hospitals, and non-profits. He is the author of 22 books including 9 best-sellers: The Energy Bus, The Carpenter, Training Camp, You Win in the Locker Room First, The Power of Positive Leadership, The Power of a Positive Team, The Coffee Bean, Stay Positive, and his latest The Garden. Jon and his tips have been featured on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, The Golf Channel, Fox and Friends, and in numerous magazines and newspapers. His clients include The Los Angeles Dodgers, The Atlanta Falcons, Campbell Soup, Dell, Publix, Southwest Airlines, LA Clippers, Miami Heat, Pittsburgh Pirates, BB&T Bank, Clemson Football, Northwestern Mutual, Bayer, West Point Academy, and more. Jon is a graduate of Cornell University and holds a Masters in Teaching from Emory University. He and his training/consulting company are passionate about developing positive leaders, organizations, and teams.
We’re talking about:
- G.R.I.T. – God, Resolve, Invest, Together
- The story of how God resorted their relationship after infidelity through Jon’s willingness to change, remorse, and prayer.
- If you don’t heal now, you’ll have to heal in your new relationship.
- If you don’t confess, you can’t address.
- What you cover, God will uncover. And when you uncover it, God will uncover it with his grace.
- Identify your wounds and work on healing them. Your mind doesn’t need fixing, your soul needs healing.
- We like change, we just don’t like transition.
- Invest in the root and you’ll get the fruit.
- Advice for 2021 – Identify a word for the year and check-in with your family often to discuss growth.
- The key to winning the year or making it through difficult times is to win the day.
Let’s Get Real Practical:
Since today’s episode focused on relationships, my tip for this week focuses on Building a Love Map – Dr. Gottman’s term for getting to know your partner’s world.
Text the phrase “RealTalkGiveaway” to the number 44222 to be entered to win giveaways from show guests and sponsors!