This week on Real Talk with Rachael I’m talking with Amy Ford, the author of Help Her Be Brave: Discover Your Place in the Pro-Life Movement. She’s also the President and Co-Founder of Embrace Grace, a non-profit that inspires and equips the church to love single and pregnant young women by working with almost 700 churches across the nation, providing curriculum to help moms with unexpected pregnancies.
Key points from our conversation:
- There’s a misconception that pro-life work just means picketing. There are many ways to get involved and Amy’s book Help Her Be Brave: Discover Your Place in the Pro-Life Movement can help you find a way to get involved that uses your strengths.
- 1 in 4 women have experienced an abortion – the rate is the same inside the church as it is outside.
- Abortion healing is possible. Jesus’ blood offers complete forgiveness and He still wants to use you. Too many voices in the church are being silenced in shame.
- “Heart work can be hard work.”
- Fear is at the root of every abortion decision. Working through the trauma of abortion gives freedom and freedom saves lives.
- Life is something to be celebrated, no matter how it arrives in the world. If a woman is being brave enough to keep the baby and show up, she should be embraced by the church.
- “Vulnerability is what squashes shame.”
- Grace changes people.
- You can be a safe space for pregnant women with supportive consistency and offering help. Celebrate them. Take them to a pregnancy center to get resources.
- If a woman opens up about experiencing an abortion, be loving and listen. Connect them with an abortion healing group.
Let’s get real practical:
If we’re honest, there’s some shame in all of our lives that’s likely holding us back. If you having a hard time identifying where your shame comes from, try creating a shame timeline and ask God to highlight something that He wants to release you from. Once you’ve identified it, release the shame. It’s not from God. Then, relay the shame to someone else that you trust. God wants to use you to bring freedom to those around you.
Don’t forget to text the phrase “RealTalkGiveaway” to the number 44222 to be entered to win giveaways from show guests and sponsors!